Here’s how most people search for and choose team building activities.
Step 1️⃣: Google “team-building activities for remote teams.
Step 2️⃣: Pick an activity that could help you improve collaborations between team members and, therefore, efficiency.
Step 3️⃣: Organize said activity for your team.
Now here’s the problem with that. While the activity may be fun and may give your team half a day’s break from their routine schedules, it won’t necessarily serve the purpose you have in mind. For tangible results from team-building activities, choose ideas based on the impact you have in mind.
According to Gallup, deciding whether the activities are meaningful and consequential depends on whether they relate to five broader tactics that serve as a blueprint for team management.
- Does the activity serve a common purpose? Does it help identify team goals, objectives, and team strengths?
- Does the activity help keep the team connected and build and nurture team relationships?
- Does it enhance communication; its efficacy, accuracy, speed, and strategy?
- Does it promote collaboration? Does it build and nurture relationships, help the team work together, and make decisions?
- Does the activity focus on celebration and your team’s successes?
Pick activities that help you with all or a majority of these. Our online escape room sets a common goal for teams through a series of challenges where each person has an assigned role. Successful completion of the challenge depends on how effectively team members work together. The debrief session that follows the escape room encourages participants to reflect and share and is designed to enhance communication and collaboration.